Saturday, July 21, 2007

Hanging Lake

Bevan and I traveled just outside of Glenwood Springs to hike Hanging Lake. The area is located in the White River National Forest. I had seen picture's of Hanging Lake before & heard a lot of people talk about it in the past. I knew this was one hike that I wanted to do. Bevan hiked this trail last year with his co-workers when they had a retreat in Glenwood Springs. The trail is about 2 miles long & fairly easy to moderate I'd say. It is very rocky in spots & you have to pay close attention when you get to certain points or you will easily fall. It took us about 35 minutes to hike this trail & about 25 to get down since we ran down the mountain. The starting elevation is 6,150 & the finish is 7,250. You are treated to breathtaking views once you reach the summit. The lake is crystal clear & you can see all of the fish swimming around. Very cool!

Here is a view from the start of the trail in the White River National Forest.
Seeing moss in Colorado is not something I really expect to see. Here is a beautiful picture of one of the many waterfalls as we hiked to the summit.Another great shot of the canyon as we are just about to the top.
Here is Hanging Lake. It is very small, I'm guessing about 2 to 3 acres. The water is crystal clear.Here is another shot of the water. The picture is deceiving because it looks like it is very shallow in this shot. I would say the actual depth was about 10 to 15 feet.Here I am at the back of the lake under one of the amazing waterfalls.Here is Bevan getting ready to pounce. Another picture of me in the waterfall.

No comments: